For those that may have missed the big news earlier this Spring, Joomla's development cycles have changed and here's the quick down and dirty details...
- No more STS (short term support) and LTS (long term support) release cycle plans
- Just stable STS releases from now on
- 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, and etc.
- The Joomla 3.x series will be around for a long time!
- Core components (Weblinks, Newsfeeds, Banners, etc.) will begin to disappear from new Joomla versions in the move towards a lightweight CMS
- The core components will become available as officially supported add-ons
- Complete details can be found on the official Joomla CMS Roadmap
How does this impact users of different versions?
- Joomla 1.5 users: No impact. The same advice still applies - migrate now!
- Joomla 2.5 users: No impact. Support will continue until at least the end of 2014.
- Joomla 3.x users: Undoubtedly this is good news. Joomla 3 will probably have a much longer shelf-life.
April's release of Joomla 3.3 saw some amazing new features, bringing Joomla CMS to new heights!
- Better Performance: The Joomla! 3.3 Release has bundled in an awesome kicker for all website owners: 3.3 will boost your performance by 10% or more and make that elusive “search engine love” even easier!
- Better Security: Joomla 3.3 now requires a minimum of PHP version 5.3.10, allowing Joomla to be even more secure than before!
- Better Storage: Now Joomla can be configured with even more cloud storage options!
- Better SEO: Joomla 3.3 brings SEO to a new level with its imporved microdata!
Complete details about Joomla 3.3 can be read on the Community Blog.