Created: 03 August 2015
As another summer nears its end and we all shift our focus towards fall, the status of this Joomla User Group needs to be addressed. I'm sure you all have noticed that we have not been meeting regularly lately... in fact we have not had a formal meeting since April 2014. Yikes!
I'll take the blame for not having enough time to donate to the group in terms of organizing monthly meetings, promotion, speaking, and creating presentations. "Real world" life just got too busy with new work adventures and additional obligations, but those are stories for another time.
This group has been around since early 2009 and certainly should not fade away due to an organizer's lack of free time. So, as of August 3rd, I am officially searching for a replacement to serve as the new manager of the New Hampshire Joomla User Group.
For those that may have missed the big news earlier this Spring, Joomla's development cycles have changed and here's the quick down and dirty details...
- No more STS (short term support) and LTS (long term support) release cycle plans
- Just stable STS releases from now on
- 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, and etc.
- The Joomla 3.x series will be around for a long time!
- Core components (Weblinks, Newsfeeds, Banners, etc.) will begin to disappear from new Joomla versions in the move towards a lightweight CMS
- The core components will become available as officially supported add-ons
- Complete details can be found on the official Joomla CMS Roadmap
How does this impact users of different versions?
- Joomla 1.5 users: No impact. The same advice still applies - migrate now!
- Joomla 2.5 users: No impact. Support will continue until at least the end of 2014.
- Joomla 3.x users: Undoubtedly this is good news. Joomla 3 will probably have a much longer shelf-life.
April's release of Joomla 3.3 saw some amazing new features, bringing Joomla CMS to new heights!
- Better Performance: The Joomla! 3.3 Release has bundled in an awesome kicker for all website owners: 3.3 will boost your performance by 10% or more and make that elusive “search engine love” even easier!
- Better Security: Joomla 3.3 now requires a minimum of PHP version 5.3.10, allowing Joomla to be even more secure than before!
- Better Storage: Now Joomla can be configured with even more cloud storage options!
- Better SEO: Joomla 3.3 brings SEO to a new level with its imporved microdata!
Complete details about Joomla 3.3 can be read on the Community Blog.